Tuesday, January 10, 2023

Joy of a Completed Puzzle: Best Sellers

This was one of the quicker puzzles that I've finished in quite some time, but given the subject matter, and the wonderful variety that it provided, it was awfully hard not to want to work on it.

There are 53 titles shown on here, though "Black Beauty" is featured twice for some reason, which leaves 52 different books. Of those 52, I've only read a paltry 18; those being...

The Secret Garden
Romeo and Juliet (though not the Illustrated Classics version in the puzzle)
The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes
To Kill a Mockingbird
Treasure Island
Tarzan the Ape Man
The Time Machine
The Invisible Man
Jaws
War of the Worlds
Around the World in 80 Days
1984
Charlotte's Web
Frankenstein
Sherlock Holmes (the version shown at the bottom is the "complete and unabridged")
The Tale of Peter Rabbit
The Adventures of Tom Sawyer

There are about 10 more books that I should've read by now, but for whatever reason, haven't. I have been on the lookout for a few when I go to McKay's, but haven't found any cheap copies to date. Of course too, there are a few here that I have zero interest in reading, and will not be doing so even if it would mean that I could say that I've read them. 

And even though it's not the same, I have seen the film version of a number of the books here that I haven't read (as well as those that I have read), and have seen the Perry Mason episode of "The Case of the Lucky Loser" many times over the years. 

Anyway, this was a terribly fun puzzle to put together. And since my photo up top leaves much to be desired, I'll leave you with a better one from the box.

Puzzle Details:
Maker: White Mountain
Title: Best Sellers
Size: 1000 pieces
Price Paid: $1

12 comments:

  1. that is a good looking puzzle - the covers of gatsby and catch-22 are the versions that i have in my personal "library". i've read a few more in number than you, but not all of the titles that you have. i would recommend the hemingway and "animal farm" but after re-reading "the catcher in the rye" a year ago, some 25 years after reading it the first time, i am not sure i would recommend it. it hit me totally differently now that i am not close in age to holden caufield. "moby dick" was a struggle for me to get through, but i did it. not sure i am any better off for having done so.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been on the lookout for Animal Farm for a while now. Given all that's happened in recent years, anything Orwell doesn't stick around very long, no matter what the price is. I tried, and failed, to read Moby Dick many years ago. I've also tried a few of Melville's short stories, and just can't seem to get through them. I do really like the original Moby Dick film though.

      Delete
  2. Very cool! I know I've read 6 - Animal Farm, 1984, The Time Machine, The Invisible Man, Frankenstein, and my personal favorite The Hobbit. I've read most of the Sherlock Holmes tales so I guess I can include that one too. I've read most of Charlotte's Web with my daughters, but never finished it. Pretty sure I read Romeo and Juliette in high school, but don't have much recall on it. Even if I count those I'm still under 10, so you're doing better than me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, some these were from childhood, and I too have very little recollection of them. Romeo and Juliet was required reading in high school, and I don't remember much of that either. I wouldn't mind revisiting it again someday though.

      Delete
  3. I would think you could get these from your public library. They may even have a service where you can borrow them on an e-reader and skip the trip to the library itself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I'm sure I could, but with me never knowing what I'm gonna be in the mood for next, getting stuff from the library just doesn't work very well. It basically forces me to have to read it then and there, which I'm not too keen on. I like going over to my two shelves of "to read" stuff, and letting the books themselves tell me which one is gonna be next. And e-readers aren't for me, I need a physical book in my hands.

      Delete
  4. Cool puzzle with an awesome theme. I once bought one of those scratch off posters to read the Top 100 books of all time. I need to restart that list. Always cool to finish off a good jigsaw puzzle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had never heard of scratch-off posters until you mentioned them. Looks like they've been around for a bit too. Odd!

      Delete
  5. Very nice, while I haven't read as many books as you, that looks like a fun puzzle. I believe I've read 6 books, maybe 8, but most were because of school. It would fun to set some of your books on a table and take a photo like that of some of your favorites. Some sites even allow you to make a puzzle, I've bought one from Shutterfly before. In fact, that sounds like a good idea to make a puzzle of books my mom likes for her birthday.

    Since you have pushed me to read more books, I will be glad to inform you I've read 2 already this year (started one late last year). So what one was Jeff Foxworthy's Redneck Dictionary Volume 2, it still counts, lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The maker of this puzzle, White Mountain, makes personal puzzles for people. I haven't really looked at the order form, so I don't know how much it costs, but it could be interesting, especially if you could get a really good picture of whatever it is.

      You gotta start somewhere, right? :)

      Delete
  6. I love collage puzzles. And I might not be a huge reader (of books), but I really that puzzle is really, really cool. Out of them, I read:

    The Secret Garden
    To Kill a Mockingbird
    The Time Machine
    1984
    Charlotte's Web
    The Adventures of Tom Sawyer
    The Diary of a Young Girl
    Animal Farm
    Of Mice and Men
    Stuart Little
    The Grapes of Wrath

    P.S. Great price. Can't beat a buck... especially when you consider there were no missing pieces.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. White Mountain does a lot of collage puzzles. They've got a couple of film ones that I'd love to come across someday on the cheap.

      And yeah, these are terribly expensive when new, so you really can't beat getting a used one for a buck.

      Delete

Catching up (and other random musings): Part 2

You'd never know it, but I had intended to send this post out into the world about a week after the last one. Obviously that didn't ...