Saturday, December 24, 2022

Ugh

That's what I woke up to yesterday. And we never even got our 5°, as it couldn't get past the 0° (real feel -18°). It's hard to believe that that it had been 43° less than twelve hours earlier.

And we've had some minus degree days during the almost eight years that I've been here, but I don't recall the real feel ever getting down to -24°. It's funny too, because I went outside during the afternoon to take a few photos, and make sure that nothing was amiss. And while doing so, I was thinking it was cold, but that it wasn't too bad -- that is until I turned to head back to the house and got blasted in the face by the wind.

I hadn't been dreaming of a white Christmas, but seeing as how it's not gonna get above freezing until Tuesday, I guess we're gonna have one.

And I know that some places were/are colder, and some places got a lot more snow, so I know that things could be worse, but still, for someone who's allergic to the cold, this is not fun. Thankfully it's supposed to be in the low 60's by the end of the week, so that's something to look forward to.

Oh, and I see that we're naming winter storms now. I don't know who decided that that needs to be a thing, but whoever you are, quit it, that's dumb. It's just a storm, that's it. It doesn't need a name.

12 comments:

  1. it could always be worse, that is true, but it doesn't change the fact that it is cold!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's true. It just seems necessary to always preface things these days, lest anyone show up and be like "Ha, you think that's bad, it's 200 below zero where I am!" :)

      Delete
  2. Yeah, where I live it's not winter if it doesn't get to minus 20 at some point during the winter, and I'd take 0 degrees over 4-5 feet of snow every time. ... Still it's weird that it's "only" 8-12 degrees around here and lots of places down south are colder.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is strange about the cold difference, but strange weather things aren't new, despite the internet headlines saying otherwise. And I guess if I had to choose, I'd take the 0° over that much snow too.

      Delete
  3. Not as bad as you, but we went from over 50 to under 10 in less than 24 hours where I am. I used to really hate the cold when I had to be on a train platform before dawn every morning. Now that I work from home and only go outside when I want to, I still am not a fan but it bothers me a lot less. Was outside in -1 wind chill today and wasn't bothered at all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's still a pretty big difference. And I don't imagine that there's too many places in a city that are colder than a train platform during the winter, so I can definitely see why you would've disliked so much.

      Delete
  4. As much as I complain about the heat... the idea of walking around in 0 degree weather doesn't sound fun. Glad the temperature is going to start climbing in your area. Hope your Christmas is reasonable warm. Happy holidays Jon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I'm not made for walking around in 0°. And for the first in a number of years, all of Christmas day was spent inside, which wasn't ideal, but at least it was warm.

      Delete
  5. Looks like a nice amount of snow where you are. I enjoy taking/seeing pictures like that.

    I didn't get any snow (and a moderate amount of rain) in my corner of Jersey, but the wind was wicked! It nearly wiped out my power while I was writing my last blog post. The internet flicked off for a minute but that's all. Kinda wish we had snow with all the wind and freezing temps, but I'm in no shape to shovel right now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I probably should've posted a few more then, I just figured that a lot of folks were tired of looking at the snow.

      Lucky you! A generator is a necessity here, but I would imagine you might not need one as much there. Although, I guess you guys usually get more winter storms, so maybe I'm wrong. And what's wrong with your shape?

      Delete
  6. Soon they're going to start naming temperate weather patterns. "Next week it looks like we could see mild weather system Pete come through the area for a few days. With all the extra people going out for walks, be careful that you don't bump into someone else or hurt your mouth smiling at all the birds chirping and fresh air all around you."

    ReplyDelete

Catching up (and other random musings): Part 2

You'd never know it, but I had intended to send this post out into the world about a week after the last one. Obviously that didn't ...