Tuesday, April 12, 2022

Got a few minutes?

Remembering something that you didn't even realize you had forgotten is a weird feeling.

I'm very used to forgetting things outright, what with my ever-increasing bad memory and all, but to be reminded of a thing that I didn't even know was gone, is just odd, and is something that I'm definitely not accustomed to.

This happened while responding to a question that Bo had asked on the last post. It was in response to my talking about finding (interesting) things in the woods (and thinking about doing blog for it many years ago), in which he asked if their were any blogs dedicated to such things. Having never looked before, I didn't know, and still don't. I mentioned that there had to have been some blogs, at least at one time, about bottle hunting and metal detecting, but am not sure about any being created specifically to show off things found while hiking, or as is usually the case with me, items found while wandering. A few minutes after typing this reply, I remembered a thread on a survivalist site about finding strange things in the woods that I came across a few years ago; or at least I thought it was only a few years ago.

I knew that I had bookmarked the page, but after going through my favorites three times and not finding it, it hit me; that link was in the favorites of my old desk top, the desk top that I haven't had for almost nine years now! Talk about a weird feeling. One of my favorite internet things ever, and I had somehow forgotten about it, but didn't even realize it.

It sure doesn't feel like almost nine years have past since I last read through that thread, but that's how long I've had my current laptop, and it's not here, so obviously it's been almost nine years since I last read through it. The fact that I haven't read it for awhile was hammered home even more when I found it again via Google, and see there are now 180 pages on the thread; there were only like thirty-something pages the last time I visited it. Oh, and the site looks completely different too.

Anyway, some folks commented on the last post about being interested in seeing some of the things that I find out in the woods, so I thought if those same people were interested in reading about some much more interesting things that other people have across over the years, you might enjoy reading through this thread. I haven't gone back and read past the first page of posts yet, so I can't attest to the quality of the 150 pages that have been added over the last nine years, but I do remember there being some interesting stories among those 30 or so pages that I read all of those years ago. 

While Googling, I also found a similar thread that been started two years earlier on another site, which is currently got 119 pages of posts. I read through a couple of pages on this one, and am now very confused, as this might've been the one that I had forgotten about. I really don't know now. It's been so long! Either way though, if you're interested in such things, both of these threads will probably be worth reading. There's certainly gonna be some much better stories than I could ever tell, especially since I've never come across anything overly crazy in the woods; the same of which cannot be said for some of those who contributed to these two message boards.

4 comments:

  1. I am just looking forward to whatever you decide to post on here. LIke I said in one of my older posts, I like to see other peoples "neck of the woods"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It won't all be "woods" talk (Woodstock?), but I'm sure they'll be more than enough for most folks, possibly even too much.

      Delete
  2. Thanks for the links to those sites. I think these days that kind of content is shared more on platforms like Facebook Groups which make them harder to find, and harder to search. I've seen some posts like that in a Long Island history facebook group. Even then most of the finds are from further east on the Island which is still fairly undeveloped. Where I live there is virtually no empty land to discover things; every spot of land has been built over.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never used Facebook, so anything on there would go/is going completely unnoticed by me. Sounds like I need to look into the makeup of that Long Island of yours, as I would've assumed that it had all been developed by now. Do you ever visit that more remote eastern side?

      Delete

Catching up (and other random musings): Part 2

You'd never know it, but I had intended to send this post out into the world about a week after the last one. Obviously that didn't ...