Tuesday, April 19, 2022

Coming soon

I was watching an old music video on YouTube over the weekend, which unto itself isn't all that interesting, but the video that was uploaded appeared to be from an old countdown show -- and judging by the style of numerical graphic that popped up in the corner, I'm fairly certain that it came from one of those Top 100 Videos countdowns that MTV used to do on a yearly basis back in the 80's (I think they might've still done them into the early 90's as well, but I can't remember for sure anymore). 

This got me to thinking about music countdowns in general. Obviously other music channels would do them from time to time way back when, and of course radio stations have been doing them for 50+ years now. Lists have long been a staple of music magazines, though from what I've seen in recent years, most of them should probably end the tradition of doing so (I'm looking directly at you Rolling Stone). I haven't looked, and I'm not going to, but I would have to think that there have been plenty on YouTube, and probably quite a few blogs as well. With this in mind, I'm not sure if the world is clamoring for yet another countdown, but after just a few moments of thought, I decided that I too was gonna do one, or rather, five. Yes, five music countdowns!

Ideally, I'd just do a top X amount of songs of all-time list, but I don't see how I'd be able to limit myself to a low-ish number when talking all-time. Such a list would have to be at least 500 songs strong. No, breaking them down by decade seems like a much better way to go about this. Seeing as how very few people care about post-2000 music, as they shouldn't, I'll start with the 90's and work my way back to the 50's; doing a decade every couple of months or so. If I'm feeling froggy when I'm done, I might even come back and do the 2000's and 2010's, "might" being the key word. A top 100 of each decade would be fun, but I don't want the posts to drag on forever (I do have other things that I'd like to blog about) -- so right now, I'm thinking 50 songs per decade, but I don't know, it's gonna be a struggle to limit myself to only fifty once I hit the 60's and 80's.

Not surprisingly, these lists will not be objective in the least, they will just be favorites of mine. It would be silly for me to pretend like they'll be anything else. Although, if an executive from some record label wants to show up with a big bag of coke in exchange for my pushing a particular band or song, I may or may not be open to such an arrangement 😜

I don't expect these lists to require much effort on my part, aside maybe from deciding who has to be left out (that's where the honorable mentions come in). If all goes well, I should be able to get the 90's done, and posted, sometime within the next couple of weeks. I don't know how much interest there'll be in such a series, but even if there's none, I think I'll still enjoy putting them together for myself.

6 comments:

  1. I love lists. I love blog posts about music. I'm sure I'll love these posts. Can't wait to see your picks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Looks like you'll be the only one, Fuji! Oh well, it'll be nice to have you long for the ride :)

      Delete
  2. I am an easy mark for music countdown lists. In fact, I don't know why I'm not doing a blog of nothing except that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Probably because you don't have enough time to squeeze another blog in :)

      Delete
  3. I look forward to these. I've long wanted to do top 500 or so like you mentioned, but I'm not sure I could. I do enjoy looking at such lists, and sometimes even look up a guy that does a lot of lists like this . You should check out Bradboard. He has year end lists, decades lists, and even weekly lists. It is all his personal preference and rock is the main theme on them, but its good when I want to find music I haven't listened to in a while. Then I usually end up listening to Powerman 5000 or The Offspring.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Phil. I've rethought this idea a little bit since doing the post, and my change up my original idea some, but there will still be lists, of that I can guarantee. And thank you for the recommendation, I will look that fellow up.

      Delete

Catching up (and other random musings): Part 2

You'd never know it, but I had intended to send this post out into the world about a week after the last one. Obviously that didn't ...