Saturday, November 11, 2023

Free Access to Fold3

[Note: This may be of zero interest to anyone reading, but I still thought it would be worth sharing; just in case...]

I got an email late last night from Fold3 letting me know that they're doing a free access weekend in honor of Veteran's Day. 

Fold3, for those that may not know, is a site dedicated to military records; of all kinds. It's primary use is for genealogical research, but I suppose it could be used for just general military research as well.

I used it a bit earlier this year when I had access to it through a free-trial on Ancestry. I didn't find a lot for me at the time, but like all of these kinds of sites, they're always adding new records, so I'll be looking for anything new that might apply to my family's past.

The free-trial lasts until Sunday at midnight, which isn't a lot of time, but if you find yourself needing more time, they do offer a 7-day free trial as well.

And it case anyone is wondering, no, this wasn't a paid advertisement.

10 comments:

  1. Very cool. I will definitely check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cool site. I just did a search on Kunuri - the battle I just posted the diorama about - and found some interesting material. Thanks again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad that you were able to find something of use. I really didn't think anyone would be interested; looks like I was wrong.

      Delete
  3. Thanks for letting us know, I have a couple people I want to look up, and a couple days might be all I need. Looks like the same people as Newspapers.com. Do they offer other free weekends throughout the year like Newspapers (President's Day and Mother's Day).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I think I did the first free trial with Ancestry back in March, and this is the first time since then that Fold3 has sent me anything about a free weekend, so I'm thinking that this might be the only time they do it. I could be wrong though.

      Delete
  4. Thank you! I registered for a free account. Found my grandfather's WW2 draft card, and his dates of enlistment and discharge!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's pretty neat. I found a couple of documents about a great grandfather earlier, one of which mentions the name of a business that I didn't know that he owned.

      Delete
  5. Definitely going to check this out. Thanks for sharing, Jon!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Jon! I'll try to see if there's any information on my father and uncles.

    ReplyDelete

Catching up (and other random musings): Part 2

You'd never know it, but I had intended to send this post out into the world about a week after the last one. Obviously that didn't ...