Thursday, August 17, 2023

Two new (to me) books

This has been an odd year for me. Mostly in ways that I can't even put into words. If I wanted to be overly dramatic I'd say that it's been transformative, but that's a fit too flowery for me, so I'll just stick with 'odd'.

Old interests have been falling by the wayside, new interests have emerged to take the place of the old, and a couple of long dormant interests have risen from the ashes to become new once again. 

Most of this change is due in large part to my ongoing genealogical research (I can hear the collective groan now). Though, some of it has also been influenced by what I'd describe as my year-long (so far) attempt at self-improvement. I don't think I've talked about the latter on here yet, and since it'll probably be long-winded when I do, I'll save it for another day. In the meantime, I will say that I sort of feel like, that after "39" years, I've finally found the path that I'm supposed to be on (that sounds pretty dramatic too - sorry!).

One area that's been changing very quickly is in the kind of books that I've been seeking out. A small example of this can be seen in the two books I got at the Book Cellar last week...

We moved to Gresham (OR) when I was 12, and not too long after that I started to develop an interest in coin collecting. I can no longer recall what brought on this new interest, but I do remember being all in from the get-go. This was aided greatly by finding out (via the phone book) that there was a wonderful little shop, Oregon Trail Coin & Stamp, located about two miles from our house (duplex). A lot of my memories from this era are gone, but I can still remember exactly what this place looked like. The left side of the store was dedicated to coins, and the right, stamps. And though it would probably be considered unpleasant to the modern nose, the shop smelt of all things old, which I say in the sincerest form possible. It was a delightful smell, and one that I was already quite accustomed to. You can still find that smell in certain places, but it's not nearly as common as it used to be.

The shop was run by husband and wife duo, and while the guy had a bit of a reputation for being a curmudgeon, he was always nice to me. Of course, I never saw any other kids in there, so maybe he was just forcing himself to be pleasant so that he wouldn't scare off a future caretaker of his preferred hobby. But either way, I never had a problem with him.

The first two or three times I went there, my mom drove me, but every time after that I rode my bike. I don't what the peak hours were for the shop, but I can remember being in there many a summer afternoon, and I was the only customer there. My two primary hobbies at this time were sports cards and coin, and between the two I did not have a lot of money to spend. This was never a deterrent though, as I can remember riding there with all of a dollar (or less) in my pocket on more than a few occasions. Though, in retrospect, this wasn't quite as bad as it seemed, because unbeknownst to me, silver was dipping to an all-time low around this time (I wanna say that was in '95); so my dollar went a lot further towards trying to complete a run of Mercury dimes, which were my favorites at that time. That's another reason too why I have such fond memories of that guy there (whose name I cannot for the life of me remember!), I could, and would, spend an hour or two going through all of the trays of "junk silver", any and all of the Whitman folders, and even some of the binders of pricier things - getting a history lesson all the while - end up spending a dollar or two, and never see any signs of frustration from either of the couple at my taking up so much of there time and then spending so little. 

Like most kids, my interests started to change once the teenage years began. My trips to the store became a lot less frequent, and I think they ended up closing the shop around 1999 or 2000. I still saw them once a year for a few years after that, as they would have a couple of tables at the yearly antique and collectibles show that was held out at the Expo Center. My interest in coins was almost non-existent by that point, but I usually bought a couple of things from them there, mostly just for old-times sake. I don't remember ever seeing them again after about 2005, and I could swear that someone mentioned that the guy had been diagnosed with alzheimer's; which of course would explain why they stopped setting up at the show.

I never did start to actively collect coins again, but unlike a lot of other things, I never sold my collection, and have thought off and on about trying to pick it up again, if only to complete that run of Mercury dimes that I never finished (I probably could've finished way back when, but I was always being sidetracked by other shiny/silver objects). Recently though, I've also started to develop an interest in all things related to colonial coinage; this being a direct result of finding out that certain branches of my family have been here (in the U.S.) for much longer than I would've ever imagined. It just seemed like a good way to try and connect a little more with some of those folks.

Given how extensive the subject matter is, and me being the sort that prefers to read things in printed form, I knew that I'd have to try to find a book, preferably of the cheaper variety, to give me some sense of what was what, and something that I could go back and use for reference when needed as well.
 
There a couple of highly rated $30+ books on colonial coins on Amazon, but I'm not gonna be spending that much on something that I can't flip through before purchasing, and since they appear to be the kind of books that are near impossible to find in the wild, I knew I'd have to look for something else, and I did... in the form of this $1 Whitman guide from 1974 (which also still has the original $2.50 price on the cover).

Obviously the prices are a bit outdated, but since I wasn't buying it for that, it didn't matter. This ended up being exactly what I was looking for, heck, the introduction alone, which is an overview (and then some) of the history of coinage in the United States, was well worth the dollar. I had no idea that pretty much any and all foreign coins were accepted for goods here during the colonial days.

It looks like I'm a bit late to start thinking about acquiring anything from this era though, as from what I've read on a couple of message boards, it seems that, like just about everything else, colonial coins have jumped up considerably in price since the rona got going. And after comparing quite a few of the mostly cheaper (at the time) things in this book against the current going rate on eBay, well, I think I'm just gonna have to be content to learn about the coins; because aside from one particular coin, everything else is way out of my range.


I've always been interested in history, but for the most part that interest has been focused on much further back than colonial (and post colonial) America. But again, thanks to all of my genealogical findings, that interest, or lack thereof, has been changing. I had a pretty good working knowledge of all things Ben Franklin going into this book; but even so, I still learned quite a bit from reading this book (I paused the Shipwrecks book to get to this one sooner), and also now have a bunch of other books written down that'll need to be looked for. If I were the sort who was capable of writing a book review, I'd be very inclined to do so for this one, but alas, that's beyond my abilities -- so in lieu of that, I will just say that this was an immensely enjoyable book, and one that I would highly recommend to anyone who's interested in this era of American history, or it's personalities.

I don't know if all of the copies were printed this way, but as an extra added bonus, mine was of the deckle edge variety; which is something that I absolutely adore. In fact, if I were in charge, all books would have deckled pages. World peace be damned, I want more deckling!

I'm sure that the topics on here will continue to evolve (as I do?), probably becoming even more me-centric, which may not be everyone's cup of tea, so even though I don't mind posting for myself; just know that I do appreciate the few of you that do continue to come around here.

I was surprised to be able to get out and go somewhere else other than the Book Cellar last week as well. I failed miserably at what I went to this other place to try and do, but I did get a lot of pictures while there, so next week's post is gonna be VERY heavy on the pictures.

10 comments:

  1. Great post. It's always interesting (for me) to learn about other collector's interests and read stories like this one. It would be interesting to find out if the couple held on the coins or if they sold them as a collection or passed it down to someone.

    I just inherited my father's coin collection. It's a small collection consisting mostly of wheat pennies and other coins from the 1900's. He also started collecting these presidential quarters from one of those monthly subscription companies that started up in the mid 2000's. With life being so hectic right now... they are all boxed up and tucked away. But the goal is to one day sit down and learn a little more about the hobby.

    As for writing book reviews... I think you'd do a great job. I'm obviously not an expert on the issue, but I will say that I'm always impressed with the big words you use in your posts. Sometime I even have to look words up... like "curmudgeon". I used context clues to figure out the meaning... and had heard the word before. But I still looked it up to see the dictionary definition.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, if I am remembering correctly, and he did end up having a health issue of some kind, I would have to think that they probably would've tried to sell off as much as they could; possible to pay for his care.

      My mom giving me a bunch of wheat pennies when I was around 11 is what kicked off my interest in coins. Hopefully you will be able to find the time to look them more thoroughly at some point.

      That's kind of you to say, but I would strongly disagree. Not being a natural writer, or even an unnatural writer, I struggle mightily with pretty much anything more complex than your basic "look what I got" post. I do try to write other things, but they almost never end up being anywhere near what I wanted them to be; which usually results in their deletion, lest I embarrass myself anymore than I already have.

      Delete
  2. Very cool. I had a fascination with coins as a kid. Didn't have many but my parents immigrated (really escaped) from eastern Europe so we had some coins from a few countries there. I would peak into a local coin and stamp shop as well. Never really bought anything but was always fascinated.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know exactly the smell you are referring to, I love it as well.

    I have a few foreign coins packed away somewhere, nothing old. I might have an older penny or something from the 1930s, that's about it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the fact that you're sharing some of these great memories on the blog, Jon. Looking forward to more!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Great" might be a bit of a stretch, but it is a memory. I find myself losing memories faster and faster the older I get, but even so, I should be able to conjure up at least a few more in the near future.

      Delete
  5. I love that Benjamin Franklin book. It's been a few years (maybe a decade) since I read it, but I like that the author makes a case for him as both a political and science figure in early US history. Always enjoy reading books about Franklin, this is one of the few that talks about him as a scientist. Nice side story to all the politics. Enjoy the read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Given how important science was to him, and he to science, it would be weird to me to read a book about his life that didn't include that aspect of it.

      Delete

Catching up (and other random musings): Part 2

You'd never know it, but I had intended to send this post out into the world about a week after the last one. Obviously that didn't ...