Sunday, June 25, 2023

Yeah, I lied... sorry!

I know, I said last month that I'd try to go a bit before subjecting you to yet another genealogy related post, but here I am already doing another one. Though, for those getting tired of them, I can say that this one will be slightly different, as it does sort of have ties to collecting, so maybe it'll be worth your click. 

Before getting into the meat of the post though, I did want to mention that I thought it was kind of, I don't know, fortuitous, I guess, that after lamenting about the subscription prices for some of the genealogy sites in a post last month, I ended up receiving two heavily discounted offers for separate sites within days if said post going live. First, Ancestry, who had been sending quite a few not-so-enticing offers, sent a rather amazing one, where I could get a three-month subscription for just $1 a month. Yeah, one dollar! I don't always check my email at night, but I did on this particular night, and I'm glad that I did, because the offer was sent at like 7pm, and was only good 'til midnight. After reading all of the fine print, you know, to make sure that there was no monkey business involved, I couldn't click that subscribe button quick enough.

And if Ancestry's offer wasn't good enough, just a few days later I got one from Ancestry Bank too. I can't remember now the exact price of this one, but basically broke down to 13 months (12 paid + 1 free) for $3.75 a month. I've already mentioned how much I like this site, not only for the genealogical aspect, but also because you can alter your search and use the site just like another Newspapers site. And they have a lot of papers that are exclusive to them, so there's no shortage of papers to look through. I may not be rolling in dough, but I could do $3.75 a month. My Black Friday discounted subscription to Newspapers.com recently ran out, and they don't seem to be in any hurry to get me back with another discounted offer, so this Genealogy Bank offer couldn't have come at a better time (though the selection of papers is quite different). Ideally, it would be great to have access to both sites at the same time, as that would pretty much cover every single paper available, but one is still better than none. 

The only down side to these new subscriptions is that I've been spending a lot more time on the computer again. I had been doing so well at limiting my time spent in front of a screen over the last few years too, but now I find myself back in front of one for more time per day than I'd like to admit. I would have to think that there's only so much information that'll I'll be able to find, so this is probably just a temporary problem, but even so, I've been doing an awful lot of computering as of late.

Anyway, what I really wanted to talk about was an idea that I had last week, which saw me wondering about the feasibility of trying to put together a (physical) collection based on my family tree. I say collection too, but I really just mean trying to get a physical item that represents each person on the tree. 

I'm one of those people who, right or wrong, doesn't believe that just because something is currently available to view (or read) on the internet, that that means that it'll be available to view (or read) until the end of time. Admittedly, I don't know how the "cloud" works, nor do I know much about data storage, so it's possible that the information will exist forever, but that doesn't mean that we'll always have access to said information. And even if I didn't believe the things that I believe, I'd still want to print everything out, if only so that I could look at all of my family stuff without having to be on a computer to do so. The problem with this is though, at least for me, is that the way the information is presented, is, how do I say this, kind of boring; and isn't conducive to me wanting to look at it.

I've never had scrapbook before, but I've been wondering if that would be the way to spice things up a bit. I've seen some videos recently on the YouTube of people who keep mixed media journals, and I really like the presentation of those. I'd just be focusing on direct relatives at first, giving each person their own page (I don't know if it would be humanly possible to do this for aunts, cousins, etc.).  I have no idea how it would be laid out, but I think it might be fun to try to do some sort of mixed media genealogical scrapbook type of thing. And as much as I try not to be sometimes, I am an accumulator of things (aka a collector), so once the idea of mixed media entered the equation, I couldn't help but think of trying to add some sort of collectible that represents the person to their page as well.

Since the item, in theory, would have to be something that could fit onto a page (without taking up the whole page), I'd be somewhat limited to what I could get to represent that person. Most likely this would be things like coins, stamps, postcards; that sort of stuff. Whatever it is, it would hopefully correlate with where they were born, lived, did for a living, etc. Ideally, said item would also be from their time, but obviously that gets a bit more challenging (and expensive) the further back I go. For anyone who goes back a couple of hundred years, I'd unfortunately have to probably get something more contemporary for them. 

Like I said, I don't really know how, or if, this is gonna work yet, and am sort of only mentioning it now for any possible feedback; or ideas that anyone might want to contribute. I'd try to Google around for anything like this, but didn't come up with any results. I know that I can't be the first person to have thought of this, I just don't think the right results are coming up from my various search words.

I suspect that this is gonna be one of those trial by error sort of things, but I'm all in on this idea, and therefor welcome all of the challenges that it is gonna present.

And while I'm here talking about genealogical things again, I thought I'd mention another recent idea, that being to take a genealogy road trip. I've been fairly surprised to learn that a few branches of my family have been here in the United States for so long; some even before the colonies were officially united. I had previously been aware of some of the other countries that folks had come from along the way, but finding out that I've got some old colony blood in me is quite something. Knowing this now, I thought it might be fun to visit some of the places that my relatives came from/lived in. I figured that a lot of people have done this before, and this time Google actually came through with a bunch pertinent links. I never had much interest in visiting places like Connecticut, Ohio, Pennsylvania, and New York, but with what I've learned, I do now kind of want to. I've never been much of a big city person, but most of the places I've come across so far (though there is a couple of notable exceptions) appear to be still somewhat rural, so that would work out pretty well for me. Obviously the places will probably have changed in the last couple of hundred years, but at least I can possibly tread on some of the same soil, and maybe stop in and say hello at some of their final resting places.

I don't have enough information yet to make such a trip this year, but I could definitely see myself trying to do one next year. The really "fun" part will be trying to figure out the logistics. I also wonder if I should try to get everything into one trip, or just do one part next year, and another the following? I know that there's only like five people reading the posts on this blog, but I would be curious to know if anyone else has made such a trip.

On a completely unrelated note, my mom found out the other day that one of my grandpa's (her dad, who passed about 10 years ago) best friends passed away at the age of 94. I didn't remember his name, but am pretty sure that I spent some time around him way back when. I think that we even stopped in at he and his wife's house at the beach a couple of times. Apparently he was still very sharp, and active, right until the end, which is pretty cool. And at 94, he obviously had a good run; so there's nothing to be sad about. The most amazing thing to me though was, finding out that he and his wife (who is still alive), had been married for 71 years. That's just awesome! In this day and age, where people get divorced over the most trivial of things, it's just neat to hear about two people being together that long. I hope that anyone whose reading this, that's married, will get a chance to do the same.

I'd like to say that I'll spare you from anymore posts like these, at least for the next few weeks, but I can see that I'm not gonna be able to do so. This has been my primary interest for these last few months, and I have no doubt that I will be continuing to talk about it; though I will keep trying to mix some other non-genealogy posts as well.

8 comments:

  1. This is cool stuff. Keep it coming. I've used Blurb.com to make photo books, yearbooks and scrap books for my family. Just an idea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I'm not very computery, but I've bookmarked that site to check it out more whenever I get closer to doing whatever it is that I'm gonna do.

      Delete
  2. Another vote for these posts! And I think the idea of a family collection is a fantastic idea. I'd be tempted to rip it off if I was better at genealogy and had more family in the US longer.

    For people from the 1930s on who were employed, matchbooks can be a great way to get an inexpensive memento from the time period. If they worked for a large company there likely would be matchbooks, but many small businesses as well. Also for anyone in the military, each branch of the service put out matchbooks as did virtually every army base, naval vessel, etc. Would love to help out with that. Maybe I would have some in my collection you can use (my matchbook collection is not "keepers" in the same way my baseball card collection is) and I could also help guide you to others.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, it's nice to know that a few people are reading these. And as far your family goes, one could collect items from outside the US too. I'll certainly be doing so for some folks.

      That's a really good idea, and one that I'm embarrassed to say that I hadn't even considered; so thank you for that. That kind of suggestion is the sort of thing that I was hoping someone might throw out there. I'm still probably at least a few months away from actually starting to acquire anything, but I will send you an email once I get going with that. If there's one person around who knows matchbooks, it's definitely you!

      Delete
  3. Congratulations on landing the Ancestry subscription for a buck a month. I'd sign up for that price too.

    The physical collection based on your family tree is very intriguing. Last weekend while looking for some documents, my brother found a visual family tree my father made for our family. It was sort of done in a modified high school yearbook format where there were little notes about each person. We were all blown away with his ability to find images for family members dating back so far. We're hoping to find the digital copy on his computer one day, so we can update it and produce it for other family members.

    That trip to Connecticut, Ohio, Pennsylvania, and New York would be really cool. Hope you get on the road and do it... as well as document it for your blog followers.

    Sorry to hear about your grandpa's friend. 94 years is a good run indeed... especially when you were married to the love of your life for 71 years of them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I was pretty surprised to get that email. Of course, they might do that anyone whose done a free-trial, and then ignored a couple of their emails with pricier offers.

      That tree sounds really neat. I don't know if it's the sort of thing that you would ever want to share publically or privately, but I know I'd love to see someone of it either on the blog, or even via email. And I'm sure that you already realize this, but if you're at all interested in learning more about your family, you should really take advantage of having your dad around to ask any and all questions that you can think of. And of course, write it all down. Now that I've gotten into this as deep as I have, I can't help but kick myself for not being interested in such things sooner. There's so much more information that I probably could've gotten from my grandpa about the family before a stroke started messing with his memory, but I didn't, and obviously will never be able to now.

      It'd definitely be a trip that I'd blog about.

      He was a very fortunate man.

      Delete
  4. These posts are fun so keep it up! If you do wind up doing the road trip, maybe taking some soil from those towns would be a good representative for your ancestors.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, that is a wonderfully unconventional idea, and one that I absolutely love! Thank you! I would've never thought to do that. I already know of one person who this would work really well for. I do plan to devote a post to him once I get more information, but... spoiler alert; he was one of the founders of what is now a fairly well-known city.

      Delete

Catching up (and other random musings): Part 2

You'd never know it, but I had intended to send this post out into the world about a week after the last one. Obviously that didn't ...