Wednesday, December 7, 2022

Spooktacular finds

It's amazing how quickly time seems to pass these days, one moment it's the middle of October, and the next it's already a week into December. I don't get it, I really don't. 

It doesn't feel like I've been sitting on the stuff in today's post for over seven weeks, but I guess I have. 

So, it was back in October then that I found myself in Knoxville for my monthly (to semi-monthly) trip to McKay's (Heaven on Earth for lovers of all things physical media). The details have already begun to blur, but I do recall that the drive was pretty uneventful (which is a good thing), and that I was treated to the fewest amount of people in the store that I had ever seen. I don't know what I did to deserve that, but it was really nice. If only every time could be like that. Usually it's just waves of people, and at least one screaming child that takes way too long to be dealt with. But there was none of that on this particular occasion. It was so strange to be able to freely walk down any aisle that I wanted without having to squeeze by anyone (the stores only flaw is that the aisles are kind of narrow, even for someone like myself who doesn't take up a lot of space). I'd say that I wish that it could be like that every time, but they'd probably go out of business if it were. And faced with that alternative, I guess the hordes aren't so bad... in small doses that is!


I usually lead off these posts with either the first thing that I put into my basket that day, or the best thing overall; today though I'm starting with the most unexpected get. My favorite book section at McKay's is the paperback TV/Movie tie-ins. Like every other section, there's ebb and flow, but it never seems to get too low. On this particular trip, it was practically overflowing. Kung Fu is one of those shows that I associate with childhood, as I grew up watching the original series in syndication, and then followed Kung Fu: The Legend Continues in real-time. Because of that connection, I couldn't not get this. It's also worth noting that this book was only 90¢.


And from the same section, I hit the V mother lode, finding books # 2,3,4,5,7,8, and 9. After reading, and greatly enjoying the first book a few months back, I was really hoping that they would have more of the series. And with this great run, I could now read at up until at least book #6 (I've been reading them in-between other books and just recently finished #3)


At this point, I pretty much grab every film novelization that I come across, or at least those that I don't already have. They rarely disappoint, and in a lot of cases, are more enjoyable than the actual film itself. I don't if that'll be possible in this case though, as I do enjoy the film quite a bit.


They're not always priced well (my opinion), but when they are, I will also grab any of the Aliens or Predator books that I don't already have. 


All of the DC and Marvel books are in with the TV/Movie tie-in stuff as well. There's usually quite a few of the 90's Marvel books in there, but not so much with the DC. Maybe the occasional Batman book, but that's about it. I didn't even know that there were any JLA books, let alone any that were written by Christopher Golden. This one was priced a little higher than I would've liked, but after noticed CG's name, I had to have it. He's definitely one of the better, if not the best, writers of superhero fiction.

Moving away from the TV/Movie tie-in section...


I'm always happy to find some new Bobby Stine books, although I already had "Blind Date". I thought it sounded familiar, but the cover threw me off because I didn't recognize it. As it turned out, mine had a different cover, hence the confusion. I've since made a list of what I already have, so hopefully this won't happen again. Although, truth be told, since it was less than a buck, I probably still would've bought it just for the different cover.


I've got most of H.G. Wells' stuff, but didn't have this collection; now I do, and it only cost me 25¢ in credit to get it!!!

Despite having collected cards for a huge chunk of my life, I've read very few books about collecting cards. I was slightly hesitant to get this thanks to it's $4 price tag, but I sure am glad that I took the chance, as it was pretty darn good. I especially liked the chapter(s) that covered collecting back before there were price guides; I can't even imagine how much more enjoyable that must've been. I don't want to spoil too much, but to any of my card collecting friends that that see this, and haven't already read it, I would highly recommend you doing so. 

That's it for books, on to the DVD's...


This pack came out of the bargain section ($1.95 or less), and while I already have about half of them on other sets, the other 10 or so films for $1.95 seemed like a pretty good deal.


Their animated series' wasn't in the place that it's been for a while now, which led me briefly to believing that they had somehow gotten rid of it. Turns out, they just moved it upstairs. I pretty much like all of DC's animated Batman stuff, so if the price is right, rarely think twice about picking up one of the newer ones. This was definitely one their more adult-oriented features, but it was still good.


X-Men: The Animated Series is pretty much the epitome of my childhood. The theme song, the animation, the voices, they're all permanently engrained in my brain. The series was released on DVD in five volumes some years ago, and despite having wanted them since, the hefty retail and secondary prices had prevented me from acquiring any until now. I don't know if I can say that my patience finally paid off, or if it was just a matter of being in the right place at the right time, but either way, I was able to get Volumes 1 & 2 for much cheaper than I had ever seen them...


My only complaint about these sets, and it's a very minor one, is with the artwork that's used on the covers, especially on V2. That is not the same style of art that was used in the series, and I'm not sure they did that. If it was to try and appeal to the younger crowd with more modern artwork, they're probably gonna be really disappointed that show didn't look like that -- and if you were trying to appeal to the older crowd, aka the ones who watched the show way back when, then why wouldn't you use the same style of animation that was used in the show? Like I said though, it's a minor complaint, I just don't understand it, that's all.

Not a bad haul, if I don't say so myself. As is often the case, I hit the the Book Cellar and the thrift store that's right next to it on my way home. The Book Cellar didn't yield anything that I couldn't live without, nor did the thrift store. I did however find one thing on the free table that's by one of the doors at the thrift store.

Even though I'm not a huge fan of the film, I did used to own it on video. I hadn't seen it for a while, so I thought I'd treat this freebie like a rental, in that I'd watch it, and then drop it off on the table the next time I was there (which I've since done). This movie has a lot of problems, but the last act is still pretty good. I'd really like to read the book someday, as I suspect that it's gonna be much better than it's big-screen adaptation.

I wasn't in the mood to do the drive, so I skipped McKay's during November, but was there again just a couple of days ago. Knowing that I was so far behind in posting about October's trip, I had thought that I wouldn't do a recap if I didn't find very much this month. Unfortunately (for you), I brought home more than a few things, and in an effort to get caught up, will probably be doing another one of these sometime in the next few weeks. 

11 comments:

  1. I always thought The Black Hole was an underrated sci-fi movie. It suffered from coming after the original Star Wars, and can't compare to it's story and special effects at the time, but taken on it's own it's a fun movie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I liked Black Hole when I saw it as a kid. To this day, still love the Sentry robots and Old BOB. I finally watched it again two years ago as the pandemic started, and for some reason didn't like it. Then I watched it again a few months ago, and really enjoyed it again.

      Delete
    2. I saw it as a kid too, so for me it's got all kinds of nostalgia attached to it. Things like that rarely ever fall out of favor with me.

      Delete
  2. So much goodness here, I don't know where to start. FIrst of all, the V books. I read all of those as a teenager. Loved them. I still have Chicago Conversion because a lot takes place in the suburbs where I grew up. I really need to watch those 90s X-Men cartoons. Unfortunately they came out while I was in my first job and disconnected from comics and pop culture. I also remember when the first Aliens and Predators comics came out. Had waited for so long to have something like that but once again, at the time, just not on my radar.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that you're the only person that I've encountered who appreciates the original V series, and everything that's tied to it, as much as I do. And I gotta say, I really like that about you :)

      I don't know if it still holds up to new eyes or not, but I'd recommend giving the X-men cartoon a go if you ever get the chance. It's one of my all-time favorites, but of course I'm extremely biased, so it's probably best to take anything that I ever say about it with a couple grains of salt.

      Delete
  3. Another fine collection of finds. I never watched Kung Fu, but remember when The Legend Continues came on. The card collecting book looks cool. The Movie Collection reminds me of a few of those that I have and haven't even opened yet. I blame it on finding more variety on free streaming sites, but at least it has opened my eyes to try to find different movies to watch.

    Can't wait to see how the next trip went.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't do any streaming, so I'm all about cheap multi-packs. And even more so when they're loaded with films that I grew up with like this one.

      Delete
  4. I've never watched The Black Hole. I should give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Watching it as an adult, you'll either really like it, or really hate it. I don't think they'll be much in-between.

      Delete
  5. A. Time has a way with messing with me. There are moments when it seems like it's flying by (when I think about collecting and other things outside of work). But when it comes to the school year, I feel like it's dragging on. Sure glad the two week break is only one week away.

    B. I really, really, really want to go back and watch some old Kung Fu episodes. Can't seem to find any on streaming platforms I'm subscribed to. Found the complete series on eBay for around $25, but will probably see if I can find it at the flea market first.

    C. Over the summer, I inherited a huge comic collection that included a bunch of DVD's and Blu-rays. There were a ton of DC animated movies, but I ended up dumping them on Craigslist. After watching the Harley Quinn series on HBO, I regretted it. I was really impressed by it. On the other hand, he didn't own any X-Men stuff. I love the 90's X-Men cartoons.

    D. I saw Contact back in the day (possibly in theaters). Haven't seen it in years, but I remember liking it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A. From everything that you teacher-bloggers have said in recent years, it really sounds like you guys are slowly killing yourselves. It also doesn't sound like anything has gotten any better, which makes me wonder if there's gonna be a mass exodus of teachers leaving the profession at some point in the near future if conditions don't improve.

      B. I have the series on DVD, and I think with some patience, you should be able to find it for cheaper than $25. I can't remember how much mine was, but I know that it was cheaper than that.

      C. Oh, depending on what was there, you really should've given a few of them a chance. I've said it many times before, but in my humble opinion, the animated DC films are the best thing going in terms of superhero entertainment these days.

      D. That would've been a good movie to see on the big screen. Thinking back, it's one that I should've gone to see, but didn't for whatever reason.

      Delete

Catching up (and other random musings): Part 2

You'd never know it, but I had intended to send this post out into the world about a week after the last one. Obviously that didn't ...