Monday, July 18, 2022

What I've been reading

... not that I think anyone cares.
Have you ever started a post, then decided that it wasn't very interesting, went to delete it, but couldn't quite commit yourself to doing so? Well, I've done that three or four times now with this one over the last month or so. The only thing that's prevented me from clicking on the little garbage can is knowing that I did spend a few minutes taking the pictures, and editing the photos for the books in this post. And I really dislike the thought of having done that for nothing. So, I'm gonna try it again, this time with more pictures. After all, a month has gone by, and more books have been read, or in some cases, attempted to be read.

I really know how to get people excited for my posts, don't I?

And I'm not sure how far back this group of reading material goes, maybe two months, at the most. It doesn't feel like it's been that long, but I will just go with it for the sake of transitioning out of this awkward opening.


I keep a list of books that I'd like to read, and this one had been on there for years now. I could've bought it online, as it's not very expensive, but I was always just hoping that I could find it out in the wild someday. Finding it at the Book Cellar a couple of months ago felt rather fortuitous, as I didn't have nearly as much time as I had wanted to look around in there on that particular day. Because of this, I was skipping the history section (among others), but did glance over at the books on the end cap as I was walking by, and wouldn't you know what was sitting right in the front of that day's display, West with the Night. I have seen so much praise heaped upon this book over the years, so now that I had a copy, I was almost beyond excited to finally tear into it. I think that may have been my downfall, my expectations were too high. 

To say that I was disappointed would be a an understatement. I flat out hated everything about this book. Beryl's (for those that may not know, she made the first non-stop solo flight across the Atlantic) writing style, which receives most of the praise from reviewers of this book, did absolutely nothing for me. And what's worse, her non-fiction book reads like fiction in many places, which is often a compliment, but not in her case. The dialogue from incidents that took place 40-50 years prior feels like it was made up at the time of the books writing, and some of it just downright bad; especially the parts where people are talking up how brave she is/was, which is frequent. There's no doubt that she thought very highly of herself, and according to her, so did everyone else that she ever met. Everyone. Apparently she was the baby Jesus, Mahatma Gandhi, and Henry Winkler all rolled into one.

I was only able to make it a little over halfway through before pulling the plug on this one. Thank goodness I only spent two bucks (in credit) on it.


Being a former long-time Coast to Coast AM listener, I'm very familiar with Jenny Randles, but had never read any of her books before. Now that I have read one, I'd be willing to read more. There was a lot of stories that I hadn't heard before in here, and couple of her possible explanations at the end were pretty interesting, one more so than the others.


My mom got me this one last summer at book sale. The only reason it took me so long to get to it was, that I knew it was gonna pull on my ancestral heartstrings, and I was right, it did. Seems like the older I get, the more the motherland is calling. The way things have gone thus far, it doesn't appear that I'll ever make it there; thankfully it doesn't cost anything to dream though. Awesome book by the way, highly recommended if you're into this sort of thing.


I went to McKay's about two months ago, during a brief dip in the gas prices, and did pretty well book-wise while I was there. I didn't do my usual recap if only because, well, I just didn't feel like it. I was there again a couple of days ago, and will do recap in the next post. Anyway, I got this during the previous trip, and it was yet another book that I had been wanting to read for awhile, that was also a massive letdown. I finally find a cheap copy ($3 in credit), and it was the absolute shits. I don't know what it is with Stephen King and his obsession with putting children in kind of fucked up sexual situations, but he did it again here (not as extreme as in It, but still uncomfortable to read as an adult), about 50 pages in, which took me right out of the book. Having wanted to read it for so long, I tried to power through, but was taken out again around the halfway mark. This time for good. There are still a couple of books of his that I wanted to try, but I think I'll just pass on those after this latest disappointment.


I got this book during the same stop at the Book Cellar that I got Jenny Randles' book. I've been going there about every two weeks, and have been having quite a bit of luck finding these. I was already very familiar with the stories behind a couple of these discoveries, but didn't mind reading them again. All of these discoveries took place back when there was still adventure and romance in archaeology, which is the kind of archaeology that I fell in love with as a kid. There is no adventure (or romance) in archaeology anymore, now it's just satellites and computers, which is all terribly boring to me. A lot of other people like it though, so it's probably just a me thing.


I vaguely remember, Ms. Shaw, my 1st grade teacher, reading this to the class over a week or two period way, way, back when. That faint memory was enough for me to grab this on whim at McKay's for 25¢. And I'm glad I did. I didn't remember anything about the story itself, and none of it came back to me as I was reading it, but nevertheless, I enjoyed it considerably more than I could've imagined I would. I don't know if they are, but I sure hope kids are still reading this one, or at least having it read to them. They'll be the better for it. I learned too from the forward that Mrs. Burnett was a transplant to here in Tennessee from England, and wrote this book while living here as well. I wouldn't have cared about that before I lived here, but now that I do, I find it kind of interesting.

I was surprised to find this one at the Serenity thrift store last month, as they don't usually have any books for me. It's a shame, because they have a flat per-pound price on books, so they're pretty cheap if you can find them. This was like 60¢ after tax. 

Like a lot of other celebrities from her era, Betty's life away from the big screen was anything but glamorous, and this book pulled no punches while discussing hers. Good book though, that is unless you don't like having the curtains pulled back, then I'd say to try and avoid it. 

I already showed this off a few months ago when I got it, I'm even recycling the old picture. This was a very dense book, and it took me a bit longer to get through it than normal. It started to bog down in a couple of the chapters that focused on politics, a few of which I ended up skipping. Speaking of politics, David let his creep into a few of the chapters, which I could've lived without, but at least it wasn't as bad as a lot of more modern books (this was released in '93) where the author has to put a spin on, or try to revise, everything that goes against their beliefs. Not a bad book, but I wouldn't recommend paying too much for it.

When I started this post up again last week, I was gonna end it here with these finds from the free boxes at the Book Cellar. I felt a little weird taking some free books on a day when I didn't buy anything, but I've bought plenty of stuff on other occasions and didn't take any of the free offerings, so it probably balances itself out. I thought I might've had the In Search of, but I didn't, and I've since tried to read it, it sucked. Apparently NBC did this special that was loosely based on Erich Von Däniken's work, and this book was a follow up/behind the scenes written by the producer. It's mostly about him and his journey into the things that EVD already covered in his first book. This guy was not very interesting, so I tried to skip the " all about me" parts and just read the sections about the actual things, but they started blending together too much for my liking so I just called it a day. It'll be going back to the free box. As for The Aeneid, I think we might've read that in high school, but I can't remember for sure at this point. I haven't gotten to it yet, but will be doing so in the very near future.

Since another week has gone by, I've started, and am mostly through yet another book...

This was in the last McKay's post that I did, so I won't rehash all of that again. I will say though that it's been everything that I hoped it would be, and then some. Although, to be fair, I kind of knew that this one couldn't let me down.

As mentioned somewhere up top, I did go to McKay's again last week, and while I don't know if the stuff that I brought home is any more interesting than the stuff I got last month that didn't make it into a blog post, I feel like posting about it this time, so I will be; probably at the end of the week if all goes well.

12 comments:

  1. I'm a fan of Stephen King, and have read about 30 of his books. That being said, he cannot write any sort of sex scene to save his life. He really should stop trying.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A lot of authors shoehorn in awkward sex scenes, which I get, they're trying to appeal to the masses; I just don't like the stuff involving children.

      Delete
  2. i like to see what others are reading at any given time. i just finished "the picture of dorian gray" and have moved on to "paradise lost". of the books you showed, i've only read "the aeneid" and that was done a few years after i graduated from college. i had read "the iliad" and "the odyssey" in high school, and so wanted to complete the trilogy, so to speak. i wound up re-reading the two homer works afterwards. enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like Dorian Gray quite a bit, I have it in an old paperback. Paradise Lost... the John Milton poem? I do remember reading The Odyssey, we did a big class project for that. And I vaguely remember The Iliad as well, but The Aeneid is still a mystery.

      Delete
  3. Appreciate you sharing the reading list! That Irish Cottage book seems pretty nifty. I traveled to Ireland just a couple of months ago, and it was terrific. If you ever do get there (and I hope you do!), I recommend taking a tour of the Wild Atlantic Way and the Sky Road. Amazing scenery.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like how you just casually mention going to Ireland. One would've thought that you might've done at least one post about your trip, I would imagine that you took plenty of photos. And of course the "why you went" would probably make for a good reas as well.

      Delete
  4. I rarely delete drafts... but when I do, I clean house and purge. I did that a year or two ago. Some were just not interesting... while others were dated and no longer relevant. If I had to guess, it probably stung to delete them at the moment, since it was work tossed down the drain. On the other hand, I don't need 50 drafts either.

    Haven't read The Secret Garden in decades. The last time I read it was in college for my children's lit class. I liked it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've noticed that if I start a post, and don't finish/publish it within a week or two, it starts to feel dated and irrelevant very quickly; and will almost always end up being deleted.

      Was that a required class for teaching?

      Delete
  5. I thought the UFO book was the most interesting of these. I used to like "strange but true" stuff when I was younger. Looking up Jenny Randles, looks like she's written about time travel which I find very interesting these days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Given your epic time travel story a few years back, I am not surprised in the least to hear that the subject would be of interest to you. I like time travel stuff as well, but haven't had great luck with non-fiction books about it. I wasn't able to get through the last two that I've tried, both ended up being over my head as far as the theoretical science went. I think that they might've been intended for those who were more academically inclined than I.

      Delete
  6. I ended up reading The Secret Garden a few years back after dodging it for years. I also pulled a really dumb teacher mistake in getting into the book. One of the girls in my class swore by the book and was shocked I had not read it yet. I Google Searched the book while my computer was hooked into my SmartBoard projector. It turns out that "The Secret Garden" is also a lingerie store that pays to be the top hit for that term on Google. It was literally on the screen for 2 seconds, but my students bothered me the rest of the year about internet safety. It was a good book, I understand why people like it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, no! The perils of modern technology! I've never even heard of a SmartBoard projector, it sounds expensive, and probably way too complicated for someone like myself to ever learn how to use. I guess it's a good thing I don't have to try.

      Delete

Catching up (and other random musings): Part 2

You'd never know it, but I had intended to send this post out into the world about a week after the last one. Obviously that didn't ...