Thursday, April 28, 2022

An inscription worth committing a crime for

I stopped in at the Book Cellar the other day. I didn't end up buying anything, but did come across this book. 

I already have said book, though mine is titled "1886 Professional Criminals of America". Given the different titles, I wanted to thumb through it to make sure that there wasn't any additional content that mine doesn't have. Upon doing so, I found this wonderful inscription:

In case anyone has any trouble reading that, it says:

Dad
"It's Criminal" 
How much we love you!!!

Love
your "little bandit"
T.T.
&
The guy who "stole" her heart, Bruce

Christmas "88"

So great. This might be one of the best inscriptions that I've ever come across. And sure, there are a few grammatical errors, but I'm hardly one to judge when it comes to that sort of thing.

I sure hope dad is no longer with us, because it would be a real shame if he willingly chose to part with such a gift.

Had I not already had the book, I would've bought it. And even though I already have a copy, if this one had been a little cheaper, say around $2, I would've bought it for the inscription alone. They do lower their prices from time to time, so maybe I'll still have a chance at it if it sits there long enough.

As for the book itself, if you're into true crime, New York City history, or the crimes and criminals of late 19th century NYC; then this book might be worth taking a look at. 

8 comments:

  1. I wish my daughters appreciated bad puns like this guy's does!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Give them time, Matt. Maybe they'll grow into it.

      Delete
  2. From the title of the post I thought we were going to be learning about your own personal life of crime. Maybe next time!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very creative inscription. Hope TT and Bruce are still together.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too. Though if something did happen to dad, it would've been nice if they would've saved this from the estate.

      Delete
  4. That is an awesome find! Hilarious inscription.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad a few other people thought so too.

      Delete

Catching up (and other random musings): Part 2

You'd never know it, but I had intended to send this post out into the world about a week after the last one. Obviously that didn't ...